Thursday, March 14, 2013

Daily Word: Light

The sun creates light. We humans love light. It is bright, it makes us happy. Sunny days equal days at the beach. Days spent outdoors. I believe the light makes us all a little happier. We need Light to thrive. To exist. God's Light.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path." 
Psalm 119: 105 (KJV)

That is the very first verse from the Bible I ever memorized. It has a special place in my heart. All throughout my life it has been, well a lifeline I suppose. Like any young person I strayed from the way and the truth and dabbled with the Devil. The teenage years of angst, parties, cutting corners, telling lies  and sneaking out hit me hard. But every now and then I would remember that verse. I was straying from the Light but if I remembered to trust God, to love God, and to put him first I would find my way again.

I believe that God's Light is like a lighthouse. Sailors relied on lighthouses to guide them away from dangerous shoals and reefs and dangerous coastlines. And to guide them to safe harbors. God is no different.
I am a tired sailor being tossed around in the grey waters of life. Most times without a paddle and a lifejacket. My boat is small with many holes, but I manage. And when the waves get too rough, when a tidal wave sneaks up on me, I am saved. Out of the darkness a light brighter then any sun or star finds me, embraces me. It is a comforting light, a peaceful light that engulfs me completely. I am wrapped in the light and reminded of how much I am loved. And when my faith has been restored I am gently cast out to sea once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment