Thursday, March 20, 2014

Song of the Day : First Day of Spring

Today is the first day of spring and boy can we feel it. As per usual here in the good ole PNW we've practically traded in our cars and bikes for oars and rubber galoshes. It's been soggy and grey and at times I have felt a tad moldy. But today it is sunny and warm and glorious. As I sit here at the kitchen table and look outside I am thrilled to see clear blue skies and a beautiful golden white sun. Mojo and I just got back in from a walk and I left my jacket behind. The sun was so warm on my bare arms.

My mom loved spring. I never quite shared her enthusiasm for I was a summer time junkie. Summer meant no school, that's where my brain was. But now that she's gone I understand the importance of spring and why she loved it.

Spring is the worlds new beginning. Why New Year's is in January baffles me. The harsh frost of winter and its desolation is gone. New life begins to grow, green buds are popping up. Baby animals are born, and hibernation comes to an end. The cherry blossom trees start to blossom and Easter falls in this season. My mom always said that Easter is the real New Year. It is truly a day of beginning again and endless love. The sun is hitting my face now, comforting. I understand now, mama.

So here is my Song of the Day.
Sunshine by Matt Costa

I've loved this song since my early high school days. Don't be fooled by the date this was uploaded. I'm so old, YouTube wasn't around yet... It's short and sweet with nothing but his voice and his guitar. It is wonderful. Have a listen and happy spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment