Sunday, July 6, 2014

To the Women Who Choose Note to Have Kids

This was an absolutely great article that I had to share.
To the Women Who Choose Not to Have Kids

I am twenty-six. I am single once again and have so far, never been married. The people I went to high school with and those I grew up with are either tying the knot or having babies. Then there's me. Struggling around trying to find the career that I want, let alone like. I like dating. Dating is nice, casual dating anyway. I just haven't found the guy that has captured my interest past the first couple of dates. And at this point in both of our lives I don't believe in stringing anyone. Not that I ever have, but I'm approaching thirty. I don't want anyone to waste my time, and I certainly do not want to waste someone else's.

Do I want children? Well, I always entertained the thought. I was never the one out of my group of friends that was ever truly gung ho about the whole baby thing. The years I taught swimming, I demanded to be far, far away from the babies and preschoolers. I love kids just after the potty training stage. I had those friends who already knew the names they were going to name their future children and now they are actually doing it. I'm just not feeling it.

I need to find the right man first. Let me put it this way, if I ever find the man God has in mind for me and he does not want children, then that is just fine. But if he wants children, for the right man, I am willing to consider.

I think society and the damn media, puts too much pressure on young people (women and men,) to get married and have babies when we're in our freaking twenties and younger. No, my twenties are for me and my growth. They're for me and my adventures. They are for me. And if I ever have children, I'd want their twenties to be all for them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment